A Nintendo Direct entirely centered around Animal Crossing New Horizons! Wow, that’s something every Animal Crossing fan dreams of. It was on just now, and I can tell you, it didn’t disappoint! Not just a free update coming November 5 that holds the much awaited Brewster’s Café and loads of other stuff. You can find it all detailed below.
But what’s more: there will also be a paid DLC pack based on Happy Home Designer that we had on the 3DS, called Happy Home Paradise! You can read all about that in this article.
- Brewster Will Open a Café: Something the fans had been speculating about for quite some time. The quiet proprietor Brewster will open the Roost after you fulfill a certain favor for museum director Blathers. The Roost is a new location to take a relaxing break in and enjoy some hand-selected coffee. You may run into some island residents here, too. If you use the amiibo phone inside the café, you can invite other characters to join you by using compatible amiibo cards. If you’d like, you can even invite friends*** to your island and bring them to the Roost to enjoy relaxing cups of joe together.
- Get Cooking: Cooking will be added to DIY recipes. After growing vegetables in your garden like tomatoes, wheat, sugarcane, potatoes and carrots, you can combine your harvest or other ingredients and fill up your dining table with delicious looking dishes. And maybe you can even use them as food posters on your walls!
- Take a Boat Tour With Kapp’n: did you miss Kapp’ns little songs? Kapp’n hangs out at the pier and will take you to one of the remote islands on his boat. The sea shanty he serenades you with along the way is also part of the fun! You may arrive at islands with mysterious flora that’s never been seen before, or islands with different seasons and times of day. What kind of mysteries await?
- Shop at the Open Market on Harv’s Island: Harv’s Island is undergoing a renewal. With a little help from his friend Harriet, Harvey is inviting some shops to the island for an open market. Contribute Bells to the cause to help make it happen! Familiar visitors on your island like Redd, Saharah and Kicks will have shops here now, and Reese & Cyrus’s shop will offer furniture customization that can’t be done through DIY workbenches. At Katrina’s shop, she’ll look at your fortune of the day. Harriet can even teach you some different hairstyles!
- Unearth Gyroids: What’s that strange thing buried in the ground? It’s a gyroid! When you find gyroid fragments, then plant and water them, they’ll mature into a lovely gyroid overnight. They make unique sounds, adding atmosphere to your island.
Further Support to Your Island Life
Nook, Inc. will offer further support for your island life. From group stretching at the plaza and bigger home storage, to the Resident Representative being able to establish ordinances like reducing the rate at which weeds grow or making all the residents get up early in the morning, there are more options to help you enjoy and adjust the island to fit your lifestyle. In more detail:
- Morning yoga, your animal neighbors never looked cuter!
- Island ordinances, which controls the behavior of the animals, including the times of day they’re awake. Very handy when, like me, you mostly plat in the evening.
- A bunch of new exterior options to change the look of your house.
- An expansion of storage expansion—from 2,400 items to, depending on what you’re willing to splurge on, 3,200, 4,000, or 5,000 items.
- A ton of new items you can get with Nook Miles, including a lot of furniture, which can be placed in a new storage shed that you can put anywhere on the island.
- You can now add lighting and ceiling decorations thanks to something called a Pro Decorating License
- Increase the number of inclines you can install on your island, from 8 to 10.
- New fence types! Park fencing, block fencing, log fencing, bamboo fencing, and more.
- An update to the camera mode allows you to take pictures from a first-person perspective, just like every other photo mode ever.
- You’ll officially be able to wear patterns that were restricted to custom items. You can also use them for floor paper and wallpaper.
- 11 new hairstyles (including a bowl cut)! 11 new reactions (like stretching and listening to music)!
- The new Island Life 101 phone app is coming to the in-game smartphone, and looks to basically be a tutorial section.
Series 5 Amiibo Cards and In-Game Items
But that’s not all! To help further extend your island getaway, on Nov. 5, new Animal Crossing Series 5 amiibo cards will launch in select stores, bringing an additional variety of characters to the amiibo cards lineup. Each individual amiibo card pack will be available for purchase separately at a suggested retail price of $5.99 and will include six cards in each pack. You’ll be able to use these vibrantly designed amiibo cards in compatible games, including Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Series 5 will encompass a selection of 48 characters total, including new characters and characters never before seen in amiibo card form.
The NookLink service in the Nintendo Switch Online app will be receiving an update on Nov. 5 as well, which will add more in-game items you can redeem with Nook Points and an island newspaper so you can read about the happenings on your island each day. You’ll also be able to check out tips for island living from Island Life 101 and view the Happy Home Network, all from the convenience of your smart device.