Come in, come in! The end of January already, and still no real winter in sight here. Sure, we had a cold spell the week before, which lasted four days. And then it was back to lots of rain. But, I must say, one day this week it seemed like it was spring already, sunny and mild. Pity that I was indoors at the office all day. How about you, how’s your weather been? Where you in the area where Winter Storm Jonas hit?
Before we touch on gaming tidbits that got my attention I did something out of character for me this week. A program on television caught and held my attention, of the kind that I normally avoid (remember, ostrich and all that?). The program “Floortje naar het einde van de wereld” (Floortjes goes to the end of the world), covered the special story of 28 year old Maggie Doyne in Nepal. This special American girl went to Nepal 10 years ago as a backpacker, and was so touched by the fate of the many orphans that she stayed. This poor region has a lot of ‘ lost children’, the result of a civil war and a huge earthquake. Maggie adopted 51 children and runs a home and school for them; they live together as one big family. The story touched my heart, but what stayed with me was Ravi, the little boy who had come to Maggie on the brink of death by starvation, and whom she had nursed back to being a healthy toddler. He was always by her side, they loved each other so much. At the end of the program Floortje told the awful news that Ravi had died as the result of an accident a mere few weeks ago. Terrible, this has stuck with me ever since. I hope Maggie can find the courage to carry on and bring hope to the children in Nepal. If you want to know more, visit their website at BlinkNow.
Best get back to our tidbits of gaming news, right?
- I guess you know that this year it’s the 20th anniversary of Pokémon; the celebrate that a special Super Bowl commercial will be aired on February 7. A 30-second version of the ad will be aired at the beginning of the third quarter of Super Bowl 50. Watch it in full below:
- Have you been playing YoKai Watch, or have you already beaten the game? There’s a new update to the YoKai Watch website, including a code for a free Crank a coin. It will give you a chance to get a rare YoKai or valuable items. What surprised me by the way is the feeling of rivalry there seems to be between Pokémon fans and the people who are playing YoKai Watch. Why? I can honestly say I’ve no idea, as far as I’m concerned any additional good game to play is perfect by me.
- A few more days if you want to participate in the giveaway for a chance to win a download code for Moco Moco Friends on the 3DS. The giveaway closes on Sunday 31st, and I’ll be drawing the lucky winners on Monday. You’ll find the rules here.
- Nintendo UK has a nice freebie available, an Animal Crossing 2016 calendar. All you have to do is enter the code “FREEANIMALCALENDER” during the checkout process once you have bought any game from them, and it will be added to your order. If you are spending less then 20 GBP you will have to pay for shipping (1,99 GBP). Is your total above that, you get the shipping for free. While stock lasts, of course. But still, nice huh?
- Enough for now I guess. Let’s finish our coffee before it gets cold. Talk to you next week! Oh wait, let me leave you with this youtube clip that really makes you want Animal Crossing on the WiiU. Fans made this Make Believe clip that really looks amazing!