Well, that is a surprise: today, in the Indie World showcase, Calico surprise dropped on the Switch (and Xbox One and Steam!). A double surprise for me, as I had backed this game in Kickstarter, and even we didn’t hear yet! But, a nice surprise. When it comes to simulation games, the more the merrier!
Relaxed, Laid Back Gaming is Here Now
The developers, Peachy Keen Games predicted at the start of 2020 that the goal was to release the game in October 2020, with publisher Whitethorn Digital. They clearly know what matters, lol, as they added in their statement:
We hope this gives you all ample time to ramp down on playing the new Animal Crossing before we launch.
So yes, we have had a few more Animal Crossing months under our belt, and I say: we are ready! And we will do our best to review the game as soon as possible.
Calico is a day-in-the-life community sim game where you are given the important/adorable task of rebuilding the town’s cat café, and packing it with cute and cuddly creatures. Build up your café by filling it with delightful furniture, fun decorations and yummy pastries, to get it bustling with animals again!
Features of Calico
- Character Creator — The Calico character creator allows players to create their own magical person to experience the world through. We focused on making options that lets you best represent yourself in the Calico world, with a diverse range of skin tones, hair types and body shapes! There are also a myriad of clothing options you can find throughout the game to complete your look!
- All animals are interactive! — The player will encounter many floopy animal friends in the world of Calico. Once befriended, you can ask them to follow you, let them roam free, or send them to their new home at the café. Animals in your party will follow you everywhere you go and listen to your commands. The animals in your cafe will relax and play with any customers that pop in for a visit. Along with adding animals to your party, Interact with cats and other animals by petting and playing! Some of the animal interactions in Calico includes playing with toys, dancing, cuddling, petting, carrying, lounging with, and pampering. You can even place animals on your head!
- Cafe Decoration — Your task in Calico is to bring the town’s café back to life again. This isn’t just achieved by bringing in cats and animals alone, however – you can also decorate your café with furniture of different styles to create the perfect cozy home for you and your animals!
- Cooking Minigame — Create a wonderful café by making yummy bakes goods and drinks for the townspeople! Learn about your follow villagers to pick and choose their favorite foods to sell!
- Magic of Calico — We wanted there to be no limits to how you could find happiness in Calico. Magic potions are a system that allow us to break the rules of what is possible and to find what would be most fun. Example: the More-to-pet Potion allows the player to magically turn a single animal giant-sized! You can hang out with a giant animal, or even ride a giant cat!
Calico is meant to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The gameplay reflects that with a laid back, low stress creative environment to explore and play in.