When I searched for a good game to play after 1,5 years of daily Animal Crossing duty, it wasn’t easy. But then, it was 2007 then. Luckily, times are changing: more and more games are being developed by Indie developers that claim to have elements of Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. Kickstarter funding has been a big help to bring these games to the public. Most start their life on Steam, some make it over to the gaming consoles.
In this series of articles I take a look at casual simulation games that are on Steam, but haven’t made the jump to the Switch. Of course, as a fan of Nintendo’s hybrid console I think many of these games would fit perfectly on the Switch. “From Steam to Switch?” lists the games I have on my radar, hoping they will make the switch (pun intended!).
Last week I looked at Farm Together (find the article here). This week we take a look at Ooblets.
Harvest Moon meets Pokémon meets Animal Crossing.
Ooblets is an upcoming farming, creature collection, and town life indie game inspired by Pokémon, Harvest Moon, and Animal Crossing. It’s developed by a small team called Studio Glumberland. Rebecca works on the programming and art, while Ben does the game design and the writing. Some freelancers help the team with art, music, sound and animation.
It has yet to be released Steam and on the XBox in 2019, so it’s very early days to hope for a Switch version in the first place.
The description for the game
The developers describe the game like this:
“Manage your farm, grow and train your Ooblets, explore strange lands, and battle wild Ooblets and other Ooblet trainers.”
- Live a simple life working the land (and collecting magical creatures)
- Customize your character’s clothing, hair style, and house
- Take part in a bustling little town full of characters
- Explore a variety of locations across Oob, all with their own biomes, plants, characters, and unique ooblets
- Upgrade your dudes because I guess they’re not good enough for you
- Join an Ooblet club. Feel wanted and appreciated. Distrust other clubs’ members.
- Collect stuff like seeds, items, furniture, machinery, and friends
- We start you off with a pretty dinky farm so you’ll want to save your gummies up for this big unlock! Get a whole new section of farmable land through our new farm unlock system.
There’s already a list of Ooblets, looking so sweet and cute (here’s the link)
Somehow they remind me of the Pokémon like game I wrote about on the site years ago, Moco Moco Friends. Aside from the cuteness of the ooblets, I see a similarity in catching them all!
I’m going to leave you with the trailer for the PC game. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!