I had fallen a bit behind in reading the blogs my fellow bloggers posted in the last week, too busy with all kinds of real life things. But with it being Liberation Day here in the Netherlands today (70 years ago my country was freed in WW II) I sat back this morning for some nice reading. Much to my surprise I found out that I’m nominated for the Liebster Award! To be honest, I didn’t know what it was, but that was quickly remedied: Liebster is a German word for ‘loveliest’, and it’s tag through which bloggers nominate other users whose work and writing they like. It is a way to spread the word about great blogs and show appreciation for the posts made by others. Always great to be apprecitated! So thank you, Matt of Nintendobound. Matt has a great love for Nintendo, and a hobby of writing about my gaming experiences and thoughts: you’ll find the best in-depth reviews on his blog! Getting the Liebster award means that I first have to answer the 11 questions Matt presented me with, then I have to share 11 random fun facts about myself, and lastly I get to nominate other blogs for this award. So, here goes:
1- What was the best trip you have ever taken? That’s difficult to answer, as I love going on a holiday. And every destination has something special for me. Despite of having seen a lot of the US, I think I’ll choose Orlando, Florida. It’s such a part of my daughter growing up, we’ve had such good times there, it’s all about memories made!
2- What are your three favorite movies? Easy, if you’ve followed my blogs it won’t come as a surprise. My favorite movies are the Lord of the Rings trilogie, the Hobbit trilogie and Star Trek IV the Voyage Home, featuring the original crew.
3- What game does everyone seem to like but you do not? I know most of you are lyric about Super Smash Bros for the WiiU or the 3DS, but I really don’t see the fun of these games.
4- What game do you like but everyone else seems to hate? Well, I thought Harvest Moon the Lost Valley (not a part of the original series of Harvest Moon, but a new game entirely made by Natsume) deserved a chance. Not for it’s farming and interacting with other game characters, but for the great possibilities in landscaping. But it seems I’m one of the few with that opinion!
5- What characters should be added to the next Super Smash Bros. installment? Funny, this questions coupled with question number three. You’ll understand that I don’t want to add a single character…
6- What long-gone gaming franchise needs to be resurrected? I’m a big fan of Chibi Robo, who is a Nintendo IP but hardly gets attention in the West. The first game was released way back then on the GameCube, but after that other then Chibi Robo Park Patrol for the DS, Chibi hardly gets any attention in the West. We did get the Photo Finder eShop game, but that was a poor representation of what a Chibi Robo game can be.
7- What long-standing gaming franchise needs to go? I’ve let this question open till the last moment. I cannot think of a single franchise that needs to go. And that’s because I always feel that if someone like I game while I don’t, i can respect that choice too.
8- What job you would never take? I would never go for a job that involves sales, I’m not one to step up to a person and press them into buying something from me.
9- What would be your reaction if extraterrestrial beings made contact with us? My first thought would be that the Gene Roddenberry (the man behind Star Trek) was right after all!
10- What is your favorite videogame song? A difficult one for me, as I tend to play my games with the sound off! But I would say the opening tune for Animal Crossing Wild World. Such good memories!
11- Will you forbid your children to play videogames whose ratings are not appropriate for their age? I would watch and play a bit of the game myself first, and then I’d decide if it’s right for my child. Not all children are alike in what they can or can’t handle. For instance, my daughter loved the Lord of the Rings movies, while a scene in Winny the Pooh with the skull-rock gave her nightmares!
Now for the 11 fun facts about myself, this is going to be a long, long blog-post, but bear with me.
1. I’m from the Netherlands, a country that’s often referred to as Holland. But only two of its twelve provinces are called Holland (North and South) so for the other ten provinces it’s quite annoying to be so casually dismissed. That’s why I can’t resist pointing this out to people from abroad!
2. My work couldn’t be more different from my gaming hobby: I work as a financial controller at a large bank. And controllers aren’t normally known for their love of fantasy like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings!
3. I don’t like Mario. Never have, never will. I have a soft spot for Luigi however!
4. I love going to the Disney parks! We have been to Orlando and Disney World lots of times, even before we had our daughter. There nothing like immersing yourself in the world of Disney and being totally carefree for a day.
5. Though I love doing it in games like Harvest Moon and Rune Factory, I actually hate cooking in real life. Fortunately for me, my husband likes to cook and is quite good at it!
7. I have a cup that has a text on it saying: “please Lord, if you won’t make me skinny, please make my friends fat”. Needless to say I wage an everlasting battle with my weight.
8. Although I blog and have made good friends through gaming and the internet, I don’t like going to social functions in real life. I’m more of a one on one person, small gatherings are my cup of tea.
9. I love animals, and when I was younger I had several, like a tame carrier pidgeon, an agapornis and a chinchilla. Now I only have my yorkie, called Scotty.
10. I don’t like sports, don’t like watching them and I don’t like exercising, though I do ride my bike to work.
11. I’m not good at Zelda games, the logic somehow always eludes me. Playing Ocarina of Time I was constantly stumped about what to do next, forgetting to use my Ocarina more then once.
So there you have it, more then you always wanted to know about me! Now for my own nominations. It’s difficult to choose, as I’ve found so many gifted writers on the internet. Most of them are on Wordpress and most have less then 100 followers (at least, as far as I can see). If I haven’t named your blog, don’t feel disappointed, there just are so many great blogs out there!
Simone van Geloven (in Dutch, she studies international event, music and entertainment and I’m her proud aunt)
And now for the questions I have for them:
1. Can you tell something typical about the country you live in?
2. Why did you take up blogging?
3. Do you set yourself a goal of number of blogs per week or month?
4. Where do you get your inspiration to write?
5. Do you own more then one gaming device, and which ones?
6. What are your favorite kind of games?
7. What are your three favorite movies?
8. What is your go-to music when you feel sad?
9. Does your work or study match your blogging topics?
10. If you have a partner, is he or she into gaming?
11. What kind of pet do you have?
I look forward to seeing your answers!